|THIS SPECIFICATION HAS BEEN SUPERSEDED BY GeoDCAT-AP|
INSPIRE+DCAT-AP is superseded by GeoDCAT-AP, and it is no longer maintained.
Alignment of INSPIRE metadata with DCAT-AP¶
DCAT-AP (DCAT application profile for data portals in Europe) is a metadata interchange format, defining a minimum set of metadata elements to ensure cross-domain and cross-border interoperability across European data portals.
DCAT-AP has been developed in the framework of the EU Programme Interoperability Solutions for European Public Administrations (ISA), and it is based on and compliant with the W3C Data Catalog vocabulary (DCAT) - currently, one of the most widely used Semantic Web vocabularies for describing datasets and data catalogues.
In the framework of ISA Action 1.17 (Re-usable INSPIRE reference platform - ARe3NA), an alignment exercise has been carried out between INSPIRE metadata and DCAT-AP.
The motivation for this work is twofold:
- To identify how to create a DCAT-AP-compliant representation of INSPIRE metadata, in order to enable their sharing with other sectors outside the thematic and normative framework of INSPIRE. This analysis is not meant to provide a complete representation of all INSPIRE metadata elements, but only of those included in DCAT-AP.
- To analyse how to use existing Semantic Web vocabularies and ontologies (including DCAT-AP) to provide a full representation of all INSPIRE metadata elements. Such a representation could potentially be recommended in the future as an alternative implementation (in addition to the current recommended one, based on ISO 19115/19119/19139), for meeting the legal requirements of the INSPIRE Metadata Regulation.
The background and preliminary results of this work has been presented at the INSPIRE 2014 Conference:
The documentation currently available for this study consists of three working drafts:
- INSPIRE profile of DCAT-AP - Core version: defines alignments for the subset of INSPIRE metadata elements supported by DCAT-AP
- INSPIRE profile of DCAT-AP - Extended version: defines alignments for all the INSPIRE metadata elements using DCAT-AP and other Semantic Web vocabularies (whenever DCAT-AP does not provide suitable candidates)
- INSPIRE profile of DCAT-AP - Reference: reference document for the alignments defined in the core and extended versions of the INSPIRE profile of DCAT-AP
Please note that the status of these documents must be considered as unstable until the publication of the final version of the study, and its endorsement by the INSPIRE MIG.
NB: Public comments should be submitted to the INSPIRE Forum:
Note on previous versions¶
As a whole, the three working drafts listed in the previous section replace the summary of technical report, illustrating the preliminary results of the study.
The superseded report and the accompanying files are listed in the following table.
|INSPIRE metadata and DCAT-AP - v0.1.pdf||Summary of Technical Report||0.1||2014-06-12||Superseded|
|md-series-ex.ttl||RDF representation of an INSPIRE metadata record (series)||2014-06-12||Superseded|
|md-service-ex.ttl||RDF representation of an INSPIRE metadata record (service)||2014-06-12||Superseded|
Alignment of INSPIRE themes and EuroVoc¶
While the INSPIRE Metadata Regulation requires the use of the INSPIRE spatial data themes to classify datasets and series, the DCAT-AP specification recommends the use EuroVoc as a common controlled vocabulary / thesaurus to annotate DCAT-AP-compliant metadata. The representation of INSPIRE metadata in DCAT-AP should then include terms from EuroVoc, corresponding to the keywords used to annotate the original metadata record.
The Publications Office of the EU (OP) is carrying on a project concerning the alignment of EuroVoc with a number of controlled vocabularies / thesauri. These include the alignment of EuroVoc with the INSPIRE spatial data themes and feature concepts.