22nd meeting of the MIG permanent technical sub-group (MIG-T)

Thursday, 27th of August 2015, 10:00-11:30 CEST

Virtual meetings - Connection details

Recording

Agenda

Call for agenda items and presentations: #2484

[10:00-10:10] Welcome and approval of the agenda (Michael Lutz)

[10:10-10:20] Minutes of the previous meetings (for discussion and agreement) (Michael Lutz)

[10:20-10:30] Progress of active MIWP actions (MIWP action leads)

[10:30-10:50] SDS Discussion paper - status and next steps (Christina Wasstroem)

[10:50-11:00] Proposal from the MIWP-7b sub-group to re-structure/split up the TGs for Download Services (Michael Lutz)

[11:00-11:10] Status of the feedback on the deadlines for using different xml schema versions (Michael Lutz)

[11:10-11:20] Changes in the Redmine collaboration space (Michael Lutz)

  • Re-structuring (simplification) of the pages
  • Proposal for corrigendum pages
  • Using the issue tracker for consultations

[11:20-11:30] AOB

  • ...

DRAFT Minutes

Preface

The minutes are based on the notes taken in the web-conference chat window by the scribe as well as comments made by participants in the chat.

Where “+1” is used in the minutes, this is to indicate support for the position of the previous speaker.

Actions

Actions are indicated in the minutes using the keyword [Action] and are tracked in the issue tracker. The currently open issues (including open issues from previous meetings) are summarised in the table below.

# Status Priority Subject Assignee
2487 New Normal Draft MIWP action proposal for updating the INSPIRE reporting template Hugo de Groof
2486 New Normal Propose SDS TG update to include the content of the SDS discussion paper Daniele Francioli
2377 Work in progress Normal Draft document on SDS interpretation Christina Wasström
2456 Resolved Normal Seek clarification from DG ENV on the requirements for Invoke Services Christina Wasström
2373 New Normal Collect best practices and guidelines on PIDs Christian Ansorge
2378 Work in progress Normal Propose good practices for INSPIRE end-to-end implementation Robin S. Smith
2475 New Normal Collect INSPIRE schema extensions and best practices Christian Ansorge
2467 New Normal Provide support to MIWP-16 and INSPIRE reporters to test the automated calculation of indicators out of harvested metadata Paul Hasenohr
2385 Work in progress Normal INSPIRE data sets and services for a pan-European gazetteer (for the European ODP) Michael Lutz
2372 New Normal Review existing guidelines for PIDs for spatial objects Christian Ansorge
2370 Work in progress Normal Share final report (and other deliverables) from the ARE3NA AAA study Robin S. Smith
2382 New Normal Provide translations of TG code list values Lorena Hernandez Quiros
2428 Work in progress High Document xml schema updates Michael Lutz
2381 New Normal Propose ToR for a subgroup around GML Michael Lutz
2379 New Normal Include a section in the MIWP on the standard tasks of the MIG-T and MIG-P Michael Lutz
2376 New Normal Collect examples of APIs for INSPIRE data Michael Lutz
2375 New Normal Further investigate pan-European gazetteer use case Michael Lutz
2371 New Normal Feedback on proposed ARE3NA activities on AAA (access control) Robin S. Smith
2368 New Normal Draft a mapping from Network services IRs (download, view, transformation) to TJS Michel Grothe
2365 New Normal Draft release plan for update of download services TGs Alexander Kotsev
2364 New Normal Investigate outsourcing of task to collect good practices and make recommendations for extensions (and possibly schema flattening) Michael Lutz
2361 New Normal Open discussion issue on size of GML files Robert Tomas
2288 New Normal MIWP 4a: Set up sub-group on Persistent Identifiers (PID) Christian Ansorge
2244 Proposed Normal Good examples of INSPIRE-related web sites Karen Fullerton

Welcome and approval of the agenda

The agenda was approved as proposed.

Minutes of the previous meeting

There were no comments on the minutes of the previous virtual meeting. They were adoped as currently proposed.

Progress of active MIWP actions (MIWP action leads)

There were no specific comments on the progress reports of the MIWP actions. Alex R remarked upon the common issue of a lack of resources that occurs across MIWP actions. Michael L replied that this should be considered when defining new MIWP actions or sub-groups. The role of the sub-groups should mainly be to review and provide feedback, while the main work on the action (e.g. drafting of TGs) is done by contractors. This is already the model followed by some of the on-going MIWP actions.

Vanda reminded participants of the deadline of 10 September for endorsement of the MIWP-21 action description and sub-group ToRs.

SDS Discussion paper - status and next steps

Christina presented the main changes from v0.5.1 to current v0.7.1 of the document (see #2377) that were done by the small drafting group (Christina, Daniela, Joeri, Daniele, Michael L) over the summer [Slides: 20150827_SDS.pptx].

Heidi and Alex R suggested that the definitions and workflows be added to the INSPIRE implementation vocabulary currently being developed in ARE3NA. Michael L replied that he had already forwarded information on the SDS discussions to the contractor who is developing the vocabulary.

There was a discussion whether non-invocable SDS should be considered within the scope of INSPIRE and what examples could be for such non-invocable SDS. Michael L remarked that the 2nd flow chart in the document seems to assume that an SDS can be "non-invocable" (see first decision point). This would be inconsistent with the first flow chart if this is kept as proposed. It was agreed to collect further feedback on the updated document (and in particular on the open discussion points) through issue #2377 of the Redmine issue tracker until 11 September. [Action all]

In parallel, JRC will draft a first proposal for how to include the content of the discussion paper in the current SDS TGs [Action JRC]. The TGs will then be further updated based on the comments received on the discussion paper. It should then be moved through the approval process according to the agreed workflow.

It was discussed how to inform the wider INSPIRE community about the SDS discussions. Michael L proposed to present some of the content from the discussion paper on the INSPIRE web site, as well as in the ARE3NA Reference Platform (see above). Alex R suggested that we should also reach out to the software (e.g. metadata, CS-W) community.

Joeri clarified that DG ENV has no additional comments concerning the SDS document, which in their view really contributes to the clarification of invocable SDS. Concerning the proposal for the modification of the invocable SDS deadlines to include serving additional metadata elements through an INSPIRE Discovery Network Service, DG ENV tends to agree on the proposed modifications, but the document and proposal is still under scrutiny by Adam who will check wether it is legally sound.

Michael L reported that AT has launched a contract to update the main development branch of Geonetwork to support the SDS and data interoperability metadata elements. Markus or Wolfgang should present the progress in one of the next meetings.

Proposal from the MIWP-7b sub-group to re-structure/split up the TGs for Download Services

Michael L presented a proposal from the MIWP-7b sub-group to split up the download service TG into separate documents based on the different standards proposed as possible solutions (Atom, WFS, SOS and WCS) [Slides: 20150812_Download_service_TG_structure.pptx]. The proposal was unanimously supported by the participants. It will also be discussed in the next MIWP-7a meeting.

Status of the feedback on the deadlines for using different xml schema versions

Feedback has been received from NO, MT, HU, SE, AT, PT, PL, IT, EL, IS, UK, RO, FR, DK, FI, LV, DE, SI, CZ, EE, ES, but is still missing from the other countries. JRC will report about the outcome by e-mail.

Changes in the Redmine collaboration space

Michael reported about a number of changes and simplifications in the Redmine collaboration space, including

  • Re-structuring (simplification) of the pages: removing components/tabs that were not used by the projects (focusing on the wiki and issues tabs), including the overview tab (which did not include much useful information). The wiki tab is now the default tab that is opened when selecting a project. All projects should therefore create an overview landing page in the wiki that describes the project's activity and links to other pages.
  • A new MIG parent project is being created that has the MIG-P and MIG-T projects as children. The MIG-P will start using the collaboration platform as well.
  • New issue types and custum queries have been proposed for corrigenda and open consultations

Robert clarified that proposals for corrigenda will be collected and discussed in the Thematic Clusters platform. Before submitting them to the MIG for consideration, they will first be discussed in the MIWP-14 sub-group. Also, it is planned to connect the document repository on the INSPIRE web site with the corrigenda pages for the specific document. Natalie stressed that it is also important to provide feedback to the Thematic Clusters about the corrigenda that have been accepted. At the Rome face-to-face meeting the first set of proposed corrigenda will be discussed.

AOB

  • Robert announced that version 1.2 of the interactive data specification tool has been published and invited everyone to test and promote it
  • Emilio asked whether there were any plans for modifying the template for the INSPIRE reporting in 2016. Hugo reported that there are discussions between DG ENV and some Member States on proposing an MIWP action to propose changes to the reporting template (as long as they are consistent with the IRs). DG ENV will take the lead in drafting the MIWP action proposal and then organise a MIG-P telecon in mid-September. [Action DG ENV]
  • The next meeting (24 September) will be run by Paul H, Robert or Joeri (TBC)

20150827_SDS.pptx (248 KB) Michael Lutz, 26 Aug 2015 04:46 pm

20150812_Download_service_TG_structure.pptx (320 KB) Michael Lutz, 26 Aug 2015 04:51 pm