24th meeting of the MIG permanent technical sub-group (MIG-T)

Thursday, 29th of October 2015, 10:00-11:30 CET

Virtual meetings - Connection details

Recording

Agenda

Call for agenda items and presentations: #2532

[10:00-10:10] Welcome and approval of the agenda (Michael Lutz)

[10:10-10:20] Minutes of the previous meetings (for discussion and agreement) (Michael Lutz)

[10:20-10:30] Progress of active MIWP actions (MIWP action leads)

  • See status reports
  • MIWP-8 (Michael Östling)
    • Discussion on the timescales for the update to the Metadata Technical Guidance. The Uk would like to know what will be covered in this first releaser of the TG, when the release will be available so that we can ensure that the software suppliers are aware of the changes and that the MS can updatye their own profiles of ISO 19115 to match up eith the TG.
  • Spatial data services (Christina Wasström)

[10:30-11:00] Agenda for the face-to-face meeting in Rome (Michael Lutz)

[11:00-11:10] Creation of a "cross-cutting" forum on the Thematic Clusters platform with facilitation by the MIG-T (Robert Tomas)

[11:10-11:20]  Template for collecting information about national INSPIRE web sites and communication activities (Karen Fullerton)

[11:20-11:30] AOB

DRAFT Minutes

Preface

The minutes are based on the notes taken in the web-conference chat window by the scribe as well as comments made by participants in the chat.

Where “+1” is used in the minutes, this is to indicate support for the position of the previous speaker.

Attendees

Alex Ramage (UK), Marie Lambois (FR), Ouns Kissiyar (BE), Emilio López (ES), Marisol Gomez (ES), Christina Wasström (SE), Jari Reini (FI), Daniela Hogrebe (DE), Kurt Bonnici (MT), Angelo Quaglia (JRC), Markus Seifert (DE), Lenka Rejentova (CZ), Jiri Polacek (CZ), Carlo Cipolloni (IT), Christian Ansorge (EEA), Darja Lihteneger (EEA), Tamas Palya (HU), Marcin Grudzie? (PL), Benoit David (FR), Henrique Silva (PT), Michael Lutz (JRC)

Michael Lutz welcomed two new MIG-T representatives: Lenka Rejentova from the Czech Environment Agency CENIA, who will be replacing Jiri Kvapil, and Marie Lambois from IGN France, who will be replacing Benoit David. Michael thanked Benoit and Jiri for their contributions to the MIG-T work.

Actions

Actions are indicated in the minutes using the keyword [Action] and are tracked in the issue tracker. The currently open issues (including open issues from previous meetings) are summarised in the table below.

# Status Priority Subject Assignee
2467 New Normal Provide support to MIWP-16 and INSPIRE reporters to test the automated calculation of indicators out of harvested metadata Paul Hasenohr
2486 Work in progress Normal Propose SDS TG update to include the content of the SDS discussion paper Daniele Francioli
2487 New Normal Draft MIWP action proposal for updating the INSPIRE reporting template Hugo de Groof
2377 Work in progress Normal Draft document on SDS interpretation Christina Wasström
2373 New Normal Collect best practices and guidelines on PIDs Christian Ansorge
2378 Work in progress Normal Propose good practices for INSPIRE end-to-end implementation Robin S. Smith
2475 New Normal Collect INSPIRE schema extensions and best practices Christian Ansorge
2385 Work in progress Normal INSPIRE data sets and services for a pan-European gazetteer (for the European ODP) Michael Lutz
2372 New Normal Review existing guidelines for PIDs for spatial objects Christian Ansorge
2370 Work in progress Normal Share final report (and other deliverables) from the ARE3NA AAA study Robin S. Smith
2382 New Normal Provide translations of TG code list values Lorena Hernandez Quiros
2428 Work in progress High Document xml schema updates Michael Lutz
2381 New Normal Propose ToR for a subgroup around GML Michael Lutz
2379 New Normal Include a section in the MIWP on the standard tasks of the MIG-T and MIG-P Michael Lutz
2376 New Normal Collect examples of APIs for INSPIRE data Michael Lutz
2375 New Normal Further investigate pan-European gazetteer use case Michael Lutz
2371 New Normal Feedback on proposed ARE3NA activities on AAA (access control) Robin S. Smith
2368 New Normal Draft a mapping from Network services IRs (download, view, transformation) to TJS Michel Grothe
2365 New Normal Draft release plan for update of download services TGs Alexander Kotsev
2364 New Normal Investigate outsourcing of task to collect good practices and make recommendations for extensions (and possibly schema flattening) Michael Lutz
2361 New Normal Open discussion issue on size of GML files Robert Tomas
2288 New Normal MIWP 4a: Set up sub-group on Persistent Identifiers (PID) Christian Ansorge
2244 Proposed Normal Good examples of INSPIRE-related web sites Karen Fullerton

Welcome and approval of the agenda

There were no comments on the proposed agenda.

Minutes of the previous meetings

There were no further comments on the minutes from the previous meeting and they were approved as they currently stand on the wiki.

Alex Ramage (UK) asked for the progress on the action "Draft MIWP action proposal for updating the INSPIRE reporting template" (#2487). Michael Lutz reported that possible updates to the reporting template are currently being discussed between DG ENV, the EEA and the JRC. DG ENV will provide a consolidated proposal for an updated template in mid-November as a background document for a discussion at the MIG-P meeting.

Emilio Lopez (ES) reported that in Spain, they face a number of questions and doubts on how to do the annual reporting, e.g. how to deal with temporal series, municipal data sets, etc., which has an impact on the number of data sets and services reported during the yearly monitoring exercise. Such issues have not been discussed in the MIWP-16 sub-group, which instead focused on the automatic generation of the monitoring indicators based on metadata. While it should be up to the data owner to decide what data sets are included in the monitoring, guidelines would be useful in order to have comparability over time and between countries. It was agreed to add this as a topic to the agenda of the Rome MIG-T meeting. Emilio agreed to prepare a presentation outlining the issues encountered in Spain. The discussion at the meeting will then need to be continued in the coming months in order to understand the issues occurring in other Member States. Based on these discussions, a new MIWP action could be created if deemed necessary. This could be an issue that is of common interest to both the MIG-T and MIG-P.

Progress of active MIWP actions (MIWP action leads)

MIWP-8

Alex Ramage asked what will be covered in this first releaser of the TG, when the release will be available so that we can ensure that the software suppliers are aware of the changes and that the MS can updatye their own profiles of ISO 19115 to match up with the TG. Michael Lutz reported that a decision has been taken by the MIWP-8 sub-group to only have one release, which should be available by the end of 2015/beginning of 2016. Alex and Markus Jobst (AT) expressed their dissappointment in this decision, since work has already started on the modification of discovery services.

Chrstina Wasström (SE) explained that the MIWP-8 sub-group has had difficulties to get feedback from the MS in time. Its important to give our comments according to the given deadline in order not to delay the work. This also holds for other MIWP actions. Alex Ramage (UK) +1.

It has also been agreed between the MIWP-8 sub-group and JRC to hire an editor to clean up the document and make the TG requirements consistent with the legal requirements in the IRs.

It was agreed to organise a MIWP-8 meeting in the coming weeks to discuss the planning [Action Michael Lutz & Michael Östling]. The meeting will be open to all interested MIG-T members.

Spatial data services

Chrstina Wasström presented the progress made by a small group of MIG-T and MIWP-8 experts on the SDS discussion paper and an updated version of the SDS TGs. The discussion paper ist not yet in its final version, yet work has already started in parallel on integrating the content of the discussion paper and the agreements from MIWP-8 on SDS metadata into an updated version of the SDS TGs. The group decided to finalise the discussion paper anyway because it can be a useful document on its own. The final version will not include examples; instead the group proposes to examine the SDS examples included in the 2016 monitoring data and to select some examples from the reported SDS. Both the discussion paper and the proposed TG update will be sent out to the MIG-T in early November for comments to be sent by the end of November [Action JRC]. The aim is to discuss any comments received and endorse (if possible) the document at Rome meeting.

Agenda for the face-to-face meeting in Rome

Michael presented a draft agenda for the MIG-T meeting, including for each agenda point the objective & expected outcomes, format and preparation to be done by participants before the meeting. The proposed agenda points and the new agenda format were agreed. 

Christian Ansorge, Darja Lihteneger and Marie Lambois volunteered to help draft a MIWP action description and sub-group ToR for GML-related issues. 

Alex Ramage proposed to include an agenda point on the overlap between themes. Robert Tomas pointed out that this is already a discussion issue on the thematic clusters platform and invited MIG-T members to contribute to the discussion.

The EEA proposed to discuss change management. Michael Lutz pointed out that this is already a topic in different MIWP sub-groups (e.g. MIWP-5, MIWP-18a) and in the workflow in the MIG ToR. Therefore, a discussion in the MIG-T meeting should focus on whether there is a need for additional guidance on this, and the topic should be prepared in advance.

Markus Seifert proposed to include a discussion about the Work Programme and in particular whether the proposed actions are still relevant and should be proposed for endorsement by the MIG-P. Christina Wasström +1.

[Action] Michael Lutz will prepare a final draft agenda based on the discussion at the meeting.

Creation of a "cross-cutting" forum on the Thematic Clusters platform with facilitation by the MIG-T

Robert Tomas presented the idea to add a a "cross-cutting" forum on the Thematic Clusters platform, which could cover cross-cutting technical discussions (e.g. on metadata, GML, coverages, ...), but also cross-cutting discussions on issues such as training, funding opportunities, etc. He proposed that such a cross-cutting forum could be facilitated by members of the MIG-T and MIG-P. Darja and Christian supported this idea and estimated that it would need 4-6 people from the MIG to check the cluster and drive the discussion.

The idea will be further discussed in the TC facilitator's meeting and possibly the MIG-T meeting in Rome.

Template for collecting information about national INSPIRE web sites and communication activities

Karen Fullerton presented a template for collecting information about national INSPIRE web sites and communication activities and asked all MIG-T members to correct/complete the information for their country [Action all]. The goal of this activity is to help further develop the "INSPIRE in your country" space on the new INSPIRE web site.

AOB

Michael Lutz reminded all participants of the MIG meetings to review and complete the information in the attendance spreadsheet by Tuesday, 3 November, in order to help the meeting hosts (ISPRA) with the planning of the MIG meetings, in particular if you are planning to attend the dinner on Thursday, 3/12.