36th meeting of the MIG permanent technical sub-group (MIG-T)

Thursday, 26th of January 2017, 10:00-11:30 CET

Virtual meetings - Connection details

Recording: AdobeConnect viewer

Agenda

[10:00-10:10] Welcome and approval of the agenda (Michael Lutz)

[10:10-10:20] Minutes of the previous meetings (for discussion and agreement) (Michael Lutz)

[10:20-10:45] MIWP actions status reports (Michael Lutz)

[10:45-11:10] De-briefing 5th MIG meeting (Michael Lutz, Joeri Robbrecht)

[11:10-11:20] On-going standardisation activities

[11:20-11:30] AOB

  • Next face-to-face meeting on 28-29 March in Ghent, BE

Minutes

Preface

The minutes are based on the notes taken in the web-conference chat window by the scribe as well as comments made by participants in the chat.

Where “+1” is used in the minutes, this is to indicate support for the position of the previous speaker.

Actions are indicated in the minutes using the keyword [Action] and are tracked in the issue tracker. The currently open issues (including open issues from previous meetings) are summarised in the table at the end of the minutes.

Attendees

Arvid Lillethun (NO), Carlo Cipolloni (IT), Anders Rydén, Christina Wasström (SE), Christine Nayar (CH), Emilio Lopez (ES), Heidi Vanparys, Laers Erik Storgaard (DK), Ine de Visser (NL), Jason King, Tim Duffy (UK), Jari Reini (FI), Kurt Bonnici (MT), Lenka Rejenrova (CZ), Marcin Grudzień (PL), Marie Lambois (FR), Markus Jobst (AT), Natalie Delattre, Ouns Kissiyar (BE), Sulev Õitspuu (EE), Tamás Palya (HU), Tomislav Ciceli (HR), Christian Ansorge (EEA), Joeri Robbrecht (DG ENV), Michael Lutz, Lorena Hernandez, Vlado Cetl (DG JRC)

Welcome and approval of the agenda

The agenda was approved as proposed.

Minutes of the previous meetings

MIWP actions status reports

Work is in progress to considate and re-structure the MIG collaboration platform to reflect the transition from MIWP 2014-2016 to MIWP 2016-2020. [Action] All to take a look at the platform and send comments and proposals for improvements. 

Notes from the discussion:

  • MIWP 2014-2016
    • MIWP-6: Registers.
      • Action is closed. All deliverables of the sub-group have been completed.
      • The ToR for submitting organisations and control body of the central INSPIRE registry and register federation have been endorsed by the MIG in its meeting on 30/11-1/12, pending a scrutiny reserve from FR.
      • The BP & TG document has been completed taking into account all comments from the MIG-T review.
    • MIWP-7a:
      • SOS-based download services. Action closed. TGs have been endorsed by the MIG in its meeting on 30/11-1/12, pending a scrutiny reserve from FR.
      • Implementation experiences and used tools should be documented using the "INSPIRE in practice" platform: https://inspire-reference.jrc.ec.europa.eu/tools
    • MIWP-7b: WCS-based download services.
      • Action closed. TG has been endorsed by the MIG in its meeting on 30/11-1/12, pending a scrutiny reserve from FR. Implementation 
      • Implementation experiences and used tools should be documented using the "INSPIRE in practice" platform: https://inspire-reference.jrc.ec.europa.eu/tools
    • MIWP-8: Metadata.
      • Action closed. TG document been endorsed by the MIG in its meeting on 30/11-1/12, pending a scrutiny reserve from FR.
      • With minor editorial updates, version 2.0.1 will be published in February.
  • MIWP 2016-2020
    • 2016.1 INSPIRE fitness for purpose – Analysis.
      • Work is ongoing. After a good discussion at the last MIG meeting, the reflection group has received a renewed and more targeted mandate, focusing only on Annex III of the data interoperability IR.
      • The next meeting of the group will be on 22 February 2017 in Brussels. The aim of the meeting is to discuss in more detail the issues and challenges with the implementation of the Annex III data specifications, reflect on how to gather more evidence and start discussing possible solutions.
      • The EC will in parallel also investigate whether any minor changes should be proposed to the other technical IRs (MD, NS) in order to make them more fit for emerging standards and technologies.
      • This investigation and the sub-group activities will feed into a mandate for review and revision of relevant IRs to be submitted to the INSPIRE Committee in June.
    • 2016.2 Streamlining the monitoring and reporting for 2019.
      • Work is ongoing. The next face-to-face meeting will be in Ispra 07-08/02. The aim of the meeting is to discuss possible changes in monitoring and reporting Regulation.
      • The interim results of the action will be discussed in detail at the MIG-T face-to-face meeting in March.
    • 2016.3: Validation & conformity. 
      • Testing of ETS and INSPIRE testing framework is progressing. Intested testers to send an e-mail to are3na@jrc.ec.europa.eu to receive credentials and instructions for providing feedback.
      • Another demo will be organised in February/March.
      • A session around validation will be included on MIG-T face-to-face meeting in March.
    • 2016.4: Theme specific issues of data specifications & exchange of implementation experiences in thematic domains
      • The agreed corrigenda to TGs published. 
      • Further improvement of thematic cluster platform will be discussed on MIG-T face-to-face meeting in March.
    • 2016.5 Priority list of data sets for eReporting.
      • Work is ongoing. Preparation for subgroup and its frist meeting.
      • The sub-group should indeed have 2 representatives per country and ideally cover all relevant eReporting domains. Where relevant, smaller working groups on specific issues will then be created.
  • Emilio (ES) presented on ongoing work in Spain on possible TG updates (VectorTiles.pptx).
    • There was considerable interest in this topic, and it was considered a good example that shows the living character that is needed for our technical guidelines and the importance of the steady general character of implementing rules.
    • Also AT is looking into Vector Tiles, but there are concerns for the heavy load of rendering at the client side that could occur.
    • Additional references mentioned by participants during the meeting:
    • Emilio will present a proposal for a TG update, acompanied by a prototype implementation for discussion at the MIG-T face-to-face meeting in March.

De-briefing 5th MIG meeting

  • In the 5th MIG meeting significant progress was made, including
    • the endorsement of 5 TG documents developed by the MIG and its sub-groups
    • the final agreement on the MIWP 2016-2020, the main text, and the new action 2016.5 on priority data sets
    • the principle agreement on the new rules of procedures (RoP)
  • The draft summary minutes of the 5th MIG meeting have been sent to MIG members and uploaded on the MIG meeting page (for more information).

On-going standardisation activities

  • Finland submitted some change requests to OGC for TJS, which may or may not have impact on Inspire: http://ogc.standardstracker.org/requestlist.cgi?quicksearch=10-070&list_id=272
  • Christina (SE) has now taken over the chair of ISO/TC 211. Congratulations! This could improve synergies and future work of MIG-T and ISO/TC 211.
  • Next week JRC will meet with OGC and Flanders to discuss about possible standardisation (in OGC and/or W3C) of Geo-DCAT-AP and DCAT-AP specifications developed under the ISA programme.
  • The European OGC TC meeting will take place from 20-23 March in Delft. 
    • JRC will organise a workshop ("INSPIRE - What if ...?") on Monday, 20/3 afternoon, on how INSPIRE could develop from technical point of view in the mid- to long-term (2025-2030).
    • A call for position papers will be sent out shortly.
    • The idea is to organise a similar WS at the INSPIRE conference 2017

AOB

  • The next face-to-face meeting on 28-29 March in Ghent, BE. Reimbursements will be handled by DG ENV, using the same system already used for the MIG reimbursement in December.
  • The INSPIRE KEN of EuroGeographics, together with Thematic Cluster LU/LC, EEA and EuroSDR, are organizing a workshop on the topic LU/LC
    • Many existing products merge LC/existing LU information whereas in the INSPIRE directive, LC and LU are two separate themes. The objective of the workshop is to better understand how the INSPIRE Directive and data specifications are going to influence the evolution of the European and national/local LU-LC data.
    • Proposed dates: 20-21 April, 27-28 April or 24-25 April
    • Location: Copenhagen
  • New INSPIRE Geoportal should be ready for internal (EC, EEA) testing in February. It will then also be opened to wider testing later in Q1.
  • The ENV expert meeting on the noise directive (reporting) planned for last November has been postponed to 28/02. Ouns has been invited to attend, to present the MS proposal developed last year on using INSPIRE for noise reporting.

Open Actions

  2877 Work in progress Normal Inform about INSPIRE-relevant standardisation activities Michael Lutz
  2381 Work in progress Normal Propose ToR for a subgroup around GML Michael Lutz
  2707 Work in progress Normal Analysis of access control to INSPIRE services Robin S. Smith
  2696 New Normal Inform MIG-T about updated Geonetwork version supporting additional INSPIRE metadata elements Markus Jobst
  2698 New Normal Elaborate INSPIRE architecture / domain model Joeri Robbrecht
  2385 Work in progress Normal INSPIRE data sets and services for a pan-European gazetteer (for the European ODP) Michael Lutz
  2373 New Normal Collect best practices and guidelines on PIDs Christian Ansorge
  2371 Work in progress Normal Feedback on proposed ARE3NA activities on AAA (access control) Robin S. Smith
  2382 New Normal Provide translations of TG code list values Lorena Hernandez Quiros
  2368 New Normal Draft a mapping from Network services IRs (download, view, transformation) to TJS Michel Grothe
  2365 New Normal Draft release plan for update of download services TGs Alexander Kotsev

VectorTiles.pptx (2.85 MB) Michael Lutz, 26 Jan 2017 05:50 pm