38th meeting of the MIG permanent technical sub-group (MIG-T)

28-29 March 2017

Informatie Vlaanderen
Virginie Lovelinggebouw, Koningin Maria Hendrikaplein 70, 9000 Ghent, Belgium

Agenda

Monday, 27 March 2017

16:00 – 19:00    Informal meeting (not part of the official MIG-T agenda) on Geonetwork developments

  • gather a state of play of every MS/data provider and their desired developments
  • identify common interests and possible (development) synergies

Tuesday, 28 March 2017

09:00 – 09:15     Welcome and approval of the agenda

09:15 – 09:30     Minutes of the previous meetings (for discussion and agreement) and review of open action items
 
09:30 – 10:30    2016.1 Fitness for purpose – Analysis

10:30 – 11:00     Coffee Break

11:00 – 12:30     2016.2 Monitoring & reporting 2019

12:30 – 13:30     Lunch 

13:30 – 14:30     2016.3 Validation & conformity testing 

  • Status report & feedback from testing of the ETSs and the test framework
  • Discussion on how to handle issues coming from ETS/ATS use & the future role of the MIWP-5/2016.3 sub-group
  • Discussion on further development of ETSs and the test framework

14:30 – 15:30    Annex I implementation deadline

15:30 – 16:00        Coffee Break

16:00 – 17:00    2016.4 Theme-specific implementation issues 

17:00 – 18:00    2016.5 List of priority datasets

20.00    Social dinner (to be paid by participants) and city walk

Wednesday, 29 March 

09:00 – 10:30     Evolution of INSPIRE

10:30 – 11:00     Coffee Break

11:00 – 12:30     INSPIRE pilots and demonstrators

12:30 – 14:00         Lunch 

14:00 – 15:00      Vector tiles for INSPIRE view services

15:00 – 15:30    Information points

  • Planned DCAT work at OGC and W3C
  • INSPIRE & Copernicus
  • Geoportal 

15:30 – 16:00      Coffee break

16:00 – 17:00      Conclusions and next steps

Minutes

The minutes summarise the main conclusions and actions from the meeting. Actions are indicated in the minutes using the keyword [Action] and are tracked in the issue tracker.

Agenda and minutes of the previous meetings

The agenda and the minutes of the previous meetings were approved without comments.

Action 2016.1: Fitness for purpose

A proposal for a new MIWP action on "improving the usability of INSPIRE data" (through a combination of additional simplified data schemas and better client tool support) was welcomed and will be proposed as a possible follow-up action of action 2016.1 [Action JRC]. Such an action could be prepared for endorsement in the December MIG meeting, but preparatory work (e.g. collecting existing examples of simplified schemas could start already in Q3/2017).

Action 2016.2 Streamlining the monitoring and reporting for 2019

The status report was presented together with development of key performance indicators and draft change proposal for Regulation on monitoring and reporting. The future monitoring will be fully automated based on metadata. Reporting will be based on country fiches. The change is expected in 2019. Monitoring 2017 and 2018 will remain the same. Many ideas and proposals came out from discussion that will be further taken into account on the next 2016.2 subgroup meeting [Action 2016.2 sub-group].

Action 2016.3 Validation & conformity testing

The new release (v1.0.0-beta) of the reference validator, which has been developed under the ARE3NA ISA action, will be made available for testing by MS shortly [Action JRC].

The proposal for a MIG sub-group for with the aim of maintaining the Abstract and Executable Test Suites (ATS & ETS) and make, where necessary, change proposals to the TGs, was welcomed. It was stressed that the group should liaise with the facilitators of the Thematic Clusters and the sub-group 2016.4, if an issue needs feedback or discussion in thematic communities. [Action JRC] Draft ToR for a 2016.4 sub-group as a follow-up of MIWP-5.

It was agreed to organize a webinar on how to develop ATS and ETS for thematic communities, in order to involve potential volunteers in the development of ATS & ETS for the theme-specific requirements of the Annex II+III themes [Action JRC].

JRC will launch a small questionnaire to ask MS which of the missing ATS and ETS (metadata v2.0, view services, Annex II+III data specifications, WCS-/SOS-based download services) to prioritise for the further development [Action JRC]. Such work could possibly be carried out under the ELISE ISA2 action.

Action 2016.4: Theme-specific implementation issues

A summary of the activities of and main issues raised in the Thematic Clusters (TCs) was presented including the presentation of the selected issues and best practices from all 9 TCs. The activity in the TCs has improved and offers more and more useful information regarding the implementation of INSPIRE.

The integration of the INSPIRE TCs and INSPIRE in Practice platforms was presented. It was agreed to discuss improvement to current INSPIRE in Practice platform to allow discussions and sharing experiences around tools, including also the planning of activities to support OS developments [Action JRC].

The questionnaire (sent out before the meeting) for collecting feedback from MS on the issues they encounter for their Annex I implementation will remain open for another 2 weeks, after which MS will then be asked to prioritise the identified issues (in particular identifying those that are "blockers") [Action MIG-T].

For the work on data model extensions, it was agreed to focus on making sure that the reference validator validates extensions, if they follow the agreed rules and patterns. While participants felt that setting up and maintaining a register of endorsed extensions may require too many resources, it was agreed to maintain the current web site with extension examples.

Action 2016.5: List of priority datasets

It was agreed to test the proposal on using keywords from agreed controlled vocabularies to identify the data sets from the list in the data set metadata with a number of volunteers from the MIG-T and EIONET INSPIRE group. [Action JRC/EEA] Launch a call for participation in this ad-hoc activity.

At the same time, the proposal to use the same approach for improving the possibility to filter for other characteristics (e.g. geographic coverage, environmental domain, links to the legislation (CELEX)) was presented. Since the first discussion on this topic in the MIG-T meeting in October 2016, several discussions took place and the general acceptance of the MSs has increased. Despite the fact that some MS have volunteered to test the solutions, the INSPIRE CT will need to provide more clear explanation especially to differentiate between different code lists and general approach distinguish between priority list of datasets and better usability of metadata [Action INSPIRE-CT].

Evolution of INSPIRE

Presentation of MAGDA platform. The MAGDA (Maximum Data Sharing between Agencies) Platform provides one common Web services platform for the Flemish Government’s 190 agencies and 13 departments. MAGDA allows access to authentic sources of citizen and enterprise data, harnessing reusable technologies and applications that can be easily adapted to different government administrations, from the regional to the local level, and increasingly also to the federal level. INSPIRE was a help for creating the building registers. More information is available on: http://www.arents.be/documents/MAGDA%20SOA%20platform.pdf

The recommendations from the INSPIRE – What if...? workshop organised at OGC meeting in Delft were presented and discussed (see details in Michael Lutz's mission report on the OGC meeting). It was proposed to organise a follow-up workshop at the INSPIRE Conference 2017 [Action JRC].

Presentations of INSPIRE pilots and demonstrators

Based on EEA's presentation on the "linked approach" for INSPIRE-based environmental e-Reporting, it was discussed whether it should also be possible to find (by following a link) reporting data related to an INSPIRE spatial object, or just the other way around (as currently proposed by EEA). This discussion could be brought up also in the 2016.1 reflection group [Action INSPIRE CT].

EEA are planning a webinar on their pilot on INSPIRE-based reporting for CDDA (nationally designated areas) on 27 April from 14:00-16:00. The webinar will focus on the reporting data model (format and content), data transformation process and will be advertised through the Thematic Clusters [Action EEA].

In the recent expert meeting on the Environmental Noise Directive (END), several delegations expressed their support for aligning END reporting and INSPIRE provisions by the 2022 reporting round. The chair of the END expert group concluded that,  after the 3rd reporting round under the Environmental Noise Directive (in 2017), efforts will be made to align the reporting under the END with the Inspire Directive  at the latest for the 2022 reporting round. The Commission will reflect on the best way forward including the setting up a Group of Member State representatives to discuss the issue further. It will feed back its proposals to the END expert group and the INSPIRE MIG, as appropriate. The Commission will draft a mandate for an action on noise reporting [Action DG ENV]. Estimated kick-off of the action Q4 2017 – Q1 2018.

MS have been invited to indicate interest in a possible follow-up activity of the disaster damage and loss pilot on the use of INSPIRE for not only the disaster and loss recording, but in general in the Natural hazard and risk domain.

Vector tiles for INSPIRE view services

Spain presented a proposal for minor modifications of the View Service TGs (dating from 2011) to allow Vector Tiles as an alternative format to be provided by view services. A representative pointed out that this would only be possible as an (optional) format, in addition to PNG or GIF, which is required in the IRs on network services. JRC and DG ENV will review the IRs and decide whether this could be a reason to propose a minor amendment to allow for scientific/technical adaptation [Action JRC/DG ENV].

In parallel, JRC will elaborate the concrete change proposal on the TG together with Spain [Action JRC/ES].

INSPIRE & GEOSS

The proposal to harvest the CSW endpoint of the European geo-portal from the GEOSS geoportal to improve the presence of European (non-EO) data sets, was generally welcomed.

The discussion showed that there is considerable interest in working on a common approach for identifying open data sets and describing licences in metadata. As a first step, MIG-T members are invited to document their current approaches for identifying open data in their national discovery services, as well as other types of "tagging" in the metadata [Action MIG-T].

INSPIRE Conference

MIG-T members were reminded about the deadline for submitting proposals for INSPIRE Conference by 28 April.

One idea discussed was a "datathon" (a hackathon focusing on data exploration), which could serve to collect an initial set of open "premium data sets", that can be used in the planned INSPIRE sandbox activity.

Attendees

Wolfgang FAHRNER (AT), Markus JOBST (AT), Ouns KISSIYAR (BE), Nathalie DELATTRE (BE), Nikolay PETROV (BG), Andreas HADJIRAFTIS (CY), Lenka REJENTOVÁ (CZ), Jiri POLACEK (CZ), Lars Erik STORGAARD (DK), Heidi VANPARYS (DK), Sulev ÕITSPUU (EE), Jari REINI (FI), Panu MUHLI (FI), Marc LEOBET (FR), Marie LAMBOIS (FR), Markus SEIFERT (DE), Tamás PALYA (HU), Carlo CIPOLLONI (IT), Patrick WEBER (LU), Arvids OZOLS (LV), Kurt BONNICI (MT), Ine DE VISSER (NL), Marcin GRUDZIEN (PL), Henrique SILVA (PT), Martin TUCHYNA (SK), Uroš MLADENOVIĆ (SI), Emilio LÓPEZ-ROMERO (ES), María Soledad GÓMEZ (ES), Christina WASSTRÖM (SE), Jason KING (UK), Joeri ROBBRECHT (DG ENV), Joachim D'EUGENIO (DG ENV), Christian ANSORGE (EEA), José Miguel RUBIO IGLESIAS (EEA), Robert TOMAS (JRC), Vlado CETL (JRC), Lorena HERNANDEZ QUIORS (JRC), Michael LUTZ (JRC)

 

2016.2_StatusReport.pptx - 2016.2 Monitoring & reporting 2019 Status report (1.53 MB) Vlado Cetl, 21 Mar 2017 04:57 pm

2016.2 Monitoring & Reporting 2019_analysis_v05.docx - 2016.2 Monitoring & reporting 2019 - Discussion on KPIs (751 KB) Vlado Cetl, 23 Mar 2017 05:30 pm

Proposal_Annex_Vector_tiles_View_Service_TG.doc (140 KB) Michael Lutz, 24 Mar 2017 10:39 am

8th END Expert group_28022017_ENV_Reporting&INSPIRE.pdf - 8th NOISE expert meeting presentation DG ENV (2.26 MB) Joeri Robbrecht, 24 Mar 2017 11:12 am

INSPIRE reporting of Strategic Noise Maps.pdf - 8th NOISE expert meeting presentation BE on streamlining reporting & INSPIRE (477 KB) Joeri Robbrecht, 24 Mar 2017 11:14 am

AnnexI_Issues.docx - Annex I implementation issues (159 KB) Vlado Cetl, 24 Mar 2017 01:28 pm

p38thMIGT_28022017_status 2016-5.pdf - 2016.5 status update (796 KB) Joeri Robbrecht, 24 Mar 2017 03:35 pm

TC_Facilitators_Selected_Issues_Best_practices_2016.docx (140 KB) Robert Tomas, 24 Mar 2017 03:52 pm

What_if_flash_presentations.pdf (2.16 MB) Michael Lutz, 24 Mar 2017 05:55 pm

20170221_Damages_Losses_INSPIRE_updated_MIG-T_RT.pptx (11.8 MB) Robert Tomas, 24 Mar 2017 05:58 pm

MetadataKeywords.pptx (1.59 MB) Vlado Cetl, 24 Mar 2017 06:14 pm

Content_Export_validator_testing_20170324.xls (43.5 KB) Michael Lutz, 24 Mar 2017 07:02 pm

2016.3_status_and_next_steps.pptx (1.22 MB) Michael Lutz, 24 Mar 2017 07:34 pm

Flat_ComplexGML_AlexChris.pptx - Presentation by Christian Ansorge / Alex Kotzev (1.37 MB) Christian Ansorge, 27 Mar 2017 11:36 am

LinkedApproach_MIG-T_Ghent_v1.pptx - Presentation by Christian Ansorge - Linked Approach, CDDA '18, EU Registry (3.17 MB) Christian Ansorge, 27 Mar 2017 12:55 pm

20170328_MIWP_action_Improved_data_usability.pptx (137 KB) Michael Lutz, 28 Mar 2017 07:49 am

Content_Export_validator_testing_20170327.xls (46 KB) Michael Lutz, 28 Mar 2017 07:50 am

Thematic_clusters_summary_MIG_T_Ghent_3_2017.pptx (5.25 MB) Robert Tomas, 28 Mar 2017 09:33 am

AnnexI_Issues.pptx - AnnexI_Issues (1.56 MB) Vlado Cetl, 28 Mar 2017 04:03 pm

20170329_MAGDA_Inspire.pptx (10.8 MB) Michael Lutz, 29 Mar 2017 09:04 am

20170221_Damages_Losses_INSPIRE_updated_MIG_T_RT.pptx (11.8 MB) Robert Tomas, 29 Mar 2017 09:56 am

INSPIRE_What_if.pptx (884 KB) Michael Lutz, 29 Mar 2017 12:38 pm

VectorTile-Changes.pptx (3.21 MB) Emilio López Romero, 29 Mar 2017 02:26 pm