41st meeting of the MIG permanent technical sub-group (MIG-T)

Thursday, 29th of June 2017, 10:00-11:30 CEST

Connection details:

Recording: WebEx recording

Agenda

[10:00-10:10] Welcome and approval of the agenda (Michael Lutz)

[10:10-10:15] Minutes of the previous meetings (for discussion and agreement) (Michael Lutz)

[10:15-10:30] MIWP actions status reports (MIWP action leaders)

[10:45-11:00] INSPIRE RDF guidelines and pilots (Robin Smith)

[11:00-11:10] De-briefing from MIG meeting and INSPIRE Committee meeting (Joeri Robbrecht)

[11:10-11:20] On-going standardisation activities

  • OGC Environmental Linked Features Interoperability Experiment (ELFIE) (Kathi Schleidt)

[11:1-11:30] AOB

Minutes

Preface

The minutes summarise the main conclusions and actions from the meeting. Actions are indicated in the minutes using the keyword [Action] and are tracked in the issue tracker.

Attendees

Carlo Cipolloni (IT), Christina Wasström (SE), Christine Najar (CH), Dragica Pajic (RS), Emilio López (ES), Ewa Surma, Marcin Grudzień (PL), Haflidi Sigtryggur Magnusson (IS), Heidi Vanparys (DK), Ine de Visser (NL), Jason King, Tim Duffy (UK), Lenka Rejentova (CZ), Marie Lambois (FR), Markus Seifert, Nicolas Hagemann (DE), Nathalie Delattre, Ouns Kissiyar (BE), Nikolay Petrov (BG), Sulev Õitspuu (EE), Christian Ansorge (EEA), Karen Fullerton, Michael Lutz, Robert Tomas, Vlado Cetl (JRC), Kathi Schleidt (INSPIRE TC Facilitator)

Welcome and approval of the agenda

Michael Lutz welcomed Katharina Schleidt, Facilitator of INSPIRE Thematic Cluster "Environmental Monitoring Facilities, Observations and Measurements".

Minutes of the previous meetings

Recording of the meeting is available and minutes of the 40th MIG-T meeting will be ready soon.

#2981 Some new inputs received. Existing table will be updated and shared with MIG-T.

MIWP actions status reports

  • 2016.1: Action completed. Next to draft 3 follow up actions and to discuss on MIG-T face to face meeting in October.
  • 2016.2: Action completed. Follow up activities will start after MS comments in September. The new mandate should be under INSPIRE Committee.
  • 2016.3:
  • 2016.4: ongoing.
    • Teleconference next week with MIG-T liasons.
    • New facilitator for Earth Science Thematic Cluster selected and under administraive procedure.
    • Procedure for solving open issues (and whether/how to involve MIG-T members in the process) to be further discussed with TC facilitators [Action]
  • 2016.5: The kick-off meeting is planned during INSPIRE Conference.
  • 2016.6 (Copernicus): Decsision on MIG-P to keep this activity mainly under EC activities and regularly keep informed MIG-T 

INSPIRE RDF guidelines and pilots

De-briefing from MIG meeting and INSPIRE Committee meeting

  • Main outcomes:
    • Conclusions on the technical papers prepared as part of the actions on fitness-for-purpose (2016.1) and future monitoring and reporting (2016.2). MS welcoming the work and overall supporting the direction proposed by the Commission / EEA Coordination Team (CT). The documents will now feed into the Committee (for a possible revision of implementing rules) or future actions for 2018 where certain specific support actions for simplifying implementation through guidance and good practices are envisaged. These two actions implemented to a large part the commitments made by the Commission as a result of the INSPIRE REFIT.
    • Kick-off and widespread support for the action on eReporting and the list of priority datasets (2016.5) which will now become the core activity in the INSPIRE contributing to the implementation of the Reporting Fitness Check actions plan (action 6). The first meeting in September (during the INSPIRE Conference) will review the overarching concept note and the detailed case where solutions have already been found (e.g. industrial emissions, urban wastewater) or are in the process of emerging, (e.g. nature / invasive alien species). Other areas (e.g. noise and marine), there is a high interest from MS to make progress in the technical solutions ensuring INSPIRE consistency / benefits for these eReporting flows. Also the further improvement of the Geoportal will contribute to this action.
    • All MS welcomed the new INSPIRE country fiches which were sent to all MS in April for final comments. There was widespread appreciation that these will simplify and improve reporting. Moreover, most MS are using them already in their national context to further revise their action plans or document the progress that they have made. The draft summary report and the latest 2017 monitoring figures were also presented (by JRC and EEA, respectively). The monitoring data are due in mid-May and due to the efficient dashboard approach (and the work done by the EEA), EU-wide results (all MS reported except IE) are already available a months later. The country fiches and summary report will be published by the end of August and presented at the conference.
    • The Committee reviewed the suggestions on revising some implementing rules (which was a commitment in the INSPIRE REFIT). Overall support to change and simplify 2009 Reporting Decision taking account the experiences with the country fiches and the dashboard. This is also a follow up action to the Reporting FC and the revision is targeted for 2018. A mixed feedback on the interoperability rules for Annex III data which are most relevant for eReporting. Some MS favour adaptations, others are sceptical on the need. All other implementing rules (metadata, services, etc.) have been found to be "fit-for-purpose").
    • An orientation debate on improving collaboration with the main global standard setting bodies (ISO, OGC, and W3C) was centre stage of the 2nd day of the meeting. The discussions were lively and constructive with everybody agreeing that there would be a "win-win" situation if the collaboration would be enhanced and deepened further and it the EU (COM and MS together) would organise its input more effectively. An number of suggestions were made on how this could be achieved and further reflections will take place until the next meeting in order to draw operational conclusions.
    • Finally, formal agreement on the new rules of procedures without discussion.
    • The Reporting Fitness Check (adopted on 9 June) sparked a lively and positive debate already. Several MS had read the document and were sending emails to each other on how important this action plan was for the implementation and future direction of INSPIRE. Some clarifications were asked (on the role of the EEA) but overall already surprisingly positive buy in by the INSPIRE experts.
    • The preparations for the INSPIRE 2017 conference were presented by the co-hosts DE/FR (4-8 Sept in Strasbourg and Kehl). Overall, impressive programme and keynote speakers (New FR ENV minister and DE interior minister + DG of ENV and DG of CNECT). However, registrations so far is (as usual) low at this stage and request to advertise as widely as possible.
  • Detailed minutes will be available on meeting page

On-going standardisation activities

  • Presentation on OGC Environmental Linked Features Interoperability Experiment (ELFIE) - OGC_ELFIE_MIGT.pptx
    • Relevance for INSPIRE
    • Christian (EEA), Carlo Cipolloni (IT), Tim Duffy (UK), Jason King (UK) and Ouns Kissiyar (BE) indicated their possible interest. Everyone can express interest by e-mail to Katharina or Michael.
    • Plan to set-up separate follow-up meeting with all interested on further involvement [Action]

AOB

  • Work on metadata keywords is ongoing. JRC is doing internal analysis how to use it in filtering INSPIRE geoportal content. Findings will be shared with MIG-T
  • INSPIRE Conference
    • Preparations ongoing
    • Draft programme soon to be published
  • New INSPIRE Video published on extensions
    • JRC can provide the text, in order for MS to translate and add as sub-titles
  • EuroGeographics together with EuroSDR and Geonovum organised very interesting WS on extensions in Paris, 20-21 June.
  • The next MIG-T meeting will take place on 27 July.

OGC_ELFIE_MIGT.pptx (59.5 KB) Michael Lutz, 30 Jun 2017 06:21 pm