46th meeting of the MIG permanent technical sub-group (MIG-T)

Thursday, 18th of January 2018, 10:00-11:30 CET

Connection details:

Recording:  Streaming, Download

Agenda

[10:00-10:05] Welcome and approval of the agenda

[10:10-10:10] Minutes of the previous meetings (for discussion and agreement)

[10:10-10:30] MIWP actions status reports

[10:30-11:00] Transforming the Spanish "INSPIRE database" into OSM and vice versa (Emilio Lopez)

[11:00-11:15] News from standardisation bodies

[11:15-11:30] AOB

  • INSPIRE conference 2018

Draft Minutes

Preface

The minutes summarise the main conclusions and actions from the meeting. Actions are indicated in the minutes using the keyword [Action] and are tracked in the issue tracker.

Attendees

Ouns Kissiyar (BE), Uros Mladenovic (SI), Nicolas Hagemann (DE), Heidi Vanparys (DK), Carlo Cipolloni (IT), John Dixon (UK), Lars Storgard (DK),  Hafliði (IS), Emilio López (ES), Rene Agius (MT), Lenka Rejentova (CZ), Arvids Ozols (LT), Henrique Silva (PT), Marcin Grudzień (PL), Richard Mitanchey (FR), Anders Rydén (SE), Christine Najar (CH), Tamas Palya (HU), Jason King (UK), Jiri Polacek (CZ), Benoit David (FR), Marisol Gómez (ES), Wideke Boersma (NL), Martin Tuchyna (SK), Nathalie Delattre (BE), Jari Reini (FI), Morten Borrebaek (NO), Alexander Kotsev (JRC), Michael Lutz (JRC)

Welcome and approval of the agenda

Michael Lutz welcomed the new French MIG-T member Richard Mitanchey, who is temporarily replacing Marie Lambois.

The agenda was approved with the following changes:

  • The usual standard point on "News from standardisation bodies" was included
  • It was proposed to collect first impressions and feedback from the use of the Thematic Viewer - to be discussed under the agenda point on action 2016.5
  • A point on the INSPIRE conference 2018 was included under AOB

Minutes of the previous meetings

The minutes of the 45th MIG-T meeting were endorsed without changes.

MIWP actions status reports

Michael Lutz asked the participants about their preferred way to be informed about the status of the on-going MIWP actions, through detailed status reports to be circulated well before the MIG-T meetings, or just through a short update during the MIG-T meeting, which will be documented in the minutes. Most participants preferred short updates as part of the MIG-T minutes, but these should, where possible include pointers to issues or wiki pages with more detailed information (e.g. on minutes of recent meetings or on-going consultations).

Monitoring and reporting 2019 (ex action 2016.2)

  • While this action is formally closed, JRC, in collaboration with EEA, will start work in 2018 to prepare the technical system to be used for the monitoring and reporting 2019, in parallel to the discussions on the revision of the Reporting Decision by the MIG and INSPIRE Committee.
  • The aim is to have the system ready at the end of 2018.
  • MS will be involved at relevant points in testing and feedback.
  • JRC point of contact: Vlado Cetl

2016.4: Theme-specific issues

  • The annual reports of the TC facilitators on their activities and suggestions will be shared shortly.
  • A meeting of the 2016.4 sub-group (TC facilitators and MIG-T liaisons) is planned for 13-14 March to discuss the next steps and long-term strategy for the action and the Thematic Clusters

2016.5: List of priority data sets

  • Presentation of 2016.5 status at the MIG meeting in Brussels (see document sent to MIG). The progress and the roadmap presented was welcome by the MS representatives.
  • At the MIG meeting it was agreed that the metadata tagging approach using the priority dataset codelist set up by JRC would be tested and advanced as much as possible before 15 May 2018 (next monitoring round). It was also agreed at the MIG that DG ENV would send a letter to the MS INSPIRE NCP to formalise the request and provide guidance. The letter was sent right before Christmas including an annex on the priority datasets and another on the Thematic Viewer and on the metadata tagging process.
  • By the last meeting of the 2016.5 subgroup at the EEA (end November 2017), UBA (Austria) which is providing technical support to the EEA in this task, presented a first (partial) version of the priority datasets list further extended and analysed in order to facilitate MS the identification of each priority dataset. This list is available on the 2016.5 wiki and it only contains the extended information for datasets in the field of Nature and Water. It is foreseen that the final complete extended list, which should included information on the exact datasets, reporting guidance if existing, ECDF, formats, etc., per each PDS, will be available by the end of January.
  • In order to discuss and agree on an stable version of the extended priority dataset list, a teleconference with the 2016.5 members will take place in early February. Date is yet to be decided. It is expected that during this meeting several issues related to this task already spotted by some MS will be addressed and hopefully clarified.
  • At the MIG meeting the JRC presented the new (beta version) of the Thematic Viewer of the Geoportal (http://inspire-geoportal.ec.europa.eu/thematicviewer/) which will allow easy tracing and reuse of the datasets. JRC is now working on further improvements on the Thematic Viewer as well as on fixing issues and bugs notified about the metadata codelist in the INSPIRE registry.
  • Several participants of this MIG-T meeting (BE, NL, DK, CZ, UK, SE, ES, IT) reported that when using the Thematic Viewer, not all data sets that are available are displayed. Michael Lutz reminded all participants that the Viewer is still in beta stage and that the main goal of this stage is to fix outstanding issues (in the MS metadata and/or the logic used in the Viewer). [Action] Therefore, all MS are invited to report the issues encountered in as much detail as possible using the Geoportal helpdesk issue tracker.

2017.1: Master guidance

  • No activity yet

2017.2: Alternative encodings

  • Michael Lutz reminded all MIG-T members of the open call for proposals for alternative encodings to be considered by the action. The feedback to this call will be the basis for the work of the action, therefore it is crucial to promote it widely [Action all]. Example encodings can cover simplified ("flattened") GML schemas, but also other encodings such as RDF, GeoPackage, (Geo)JSON, Geodatabase, etc., but it is important to provide evidence of existing implementations and their feasibility. Proposals will be discussed and prioritised by the MIG (probably in the April face-to-face meeting). A sub-group will then be set up to work on a few priority encodings as well as on a procedure to propose and endorse additional ones in the future.
  • Michael also clarified that this action is somewhat independent from the on-going discussions about an amendment of the IRs on data interoperability. This amendment will include for sure the corrigenda/bug fixes already agreed by the MIG last year, and may include other changes as currently discussed in the MIG. The IR only includes few requirements on the encoding to be used, so different encodings can be handled on the level of Technical Guidance.

2017.3: Improved client support for INSPIRE data

  • No activity yet

2017.4: Validation and conformity testing

  • The kick-off meeting of the sub-group took place on 11 January 2018. Its main tasks will be to
    • support the resolution of notable comments received on the validator, ETS and ATS and, where relevant, the formulation of change requests to TGs and/or IRs - this will be the most important task of the group
    • discuss and provide recommendations of how the maturity level concept can be reflected in the common validator - the discussion on the maturity level concept is on hold in the MIG for the moment, so this task is of less priority for now,
    • promote the usage of the validator in the MS - the sub-group members are expected to be the main contact point for validation in their country
    • advise the EC on different scenarios for the long-term sustainability of the test framework.
  • The sub-group is still missing a few experts on data validation. The call for participation/nominations is still open. [Action] All to check if additional data validation experts can be nominated.
  • The further update of the ATS, ETS and ETF testing framework will be carried out by a contractor. A common face-to-face meeting is planned for end of February/early March, where the interactions between the work of the contractor and the sub-group (e.g. testing/review of ATS, ETS and new ETF functionality, collaboration on the ATS/ETS helpdesk) will be discussed.

Transforming the Spanish "INSPIRE database" into OSM and vice versa

Emilio Lopez presented on-going work in IGN Spain on transforming the Spanish "INSPIRE database" into OSM and vice versa, including possible opportunities, but also threats (OpenStreetMaps+INSPIRE_databases.pptx). One crucial aspect is the mapping of the INSPIRE data model and code lists to the extremely simple data model of OSM (containing only 3 feature types - points, lines and relations), which makes extensive use of tags (key-value pairs). If there is interest in other MS, the OSM encoding could be proposed as an alternative encoding to be considered in action 2017.2.

The presentation was welcomed by several participants. Michael Lutz encouraged the MIG-T members to give such presentations more often to present on-going work in the wider context of INSPIRE that could be interesting for other MS as well.

News from standardisation bodies

WFS 3.0

WFS 3.0 is a major revision of WFS. All versions of the WFS standard have so far used a Remote-Procedure-Call-over-HTTP architectural style using XML for any payloads as it was state-of-the-art in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when WFS was originally designed. The next version (WFS 3.0) breaks free of this legacy and will specify a modernized service that aligns with the current architecture of the Web and the Spatial Data on the Web Best Practices.

WFS 3.0 will be a multipart standard beginning with the core. The "Core" does not mandate any encoding or format for representing features or feature collections.

The first draft of version 3.0 Core is now available for review and comment on the WFS/FES SWG GitHub repository (instuctions on how to work with GitHub using desktop tools are available).

There are already test implementations of WFS 3.0 that support GML 3.2, GeoJSON (JSON-LD) , HTML, others are in the pipeline. These could be relevant inputs into action 2017.2.

As a part of the comment process on WFS 3.0, OGC (in cooperation with ISO/TC 211) is planning to conduct a hackathon. The dates are not set yet, but probably in March.

TJS 2.0

The work on TJS 2.0 is also progressing, including on the definition of additional formats and will be based on OpenAPI specification. The idea is to have a very simple Core module to enable joining and viewing content,  and later on create new modules to the spec.

The first meeting takes place during the next OGC TC meeting in Orleans, France in mid March 2018.

SensorThingsAPI

A group of volunteers (FOSS projects, solution providers, OGC members) is investigating the new OGC SensorThingsAPI standard as a possible INSPIRE solution for both data encoding and web services. If successful the analysis will provide insights into alternative encodings for spatio-temporal data (JSON) and RESTful architectures. A discussion paper will be submitted in an academic journal in spring 2018. Further details will be provided to the MIG-T once the work is more advanced.

AOB

INSPIRE Conference

The INSPIRE Conference web site (http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/conference2018) is online, and the call for submissions has been published. The call is organised in 3 strands

  • INSPIRE the Users: In this strand special attention goes to inspiring the usage and users of INSPIRE. Both public and private parties are invited to share their experiences with creating applications that benefit from INSPIRE.
  • Doing it Together: This strand is dedicated to 'cooperation'. We are looking for examples where the cooperation between public and/or private sector organisations and programmes has been successfully developed to support the implementation of INSPIRE.
  • Making it work: The strand adressess a more technical approach to ‘make it work’. We are calling for submissions where implementation issues have been identified and where the source of the problems has been - or needs to be - addressed (e.g. Simplifications encoding, Automatisations, quality assessment, etc.).

It is now also possible to submit a proposal for an entire session, consisting of several connected presentations on a common topic. In such cases, also all presentions need to be submitted individually, so that they can be assigned to other sessions, in case the session proposal is not accepted.

Next MIG-T face-to-face meeting

The next face-to-face meeting will take place on 11-12 April in Ispra. Draft agenda and details about reimbursement (budget permitting) will be shared shortly.

OpenStreetMaps+INSPIRE_databases.pptx (4.08 MB) Michael Lutz, 24 Jan 2018 09:29 pm